Friday, September 5, 2008

About me

I started spinning on a drop spindle 2 or 3 years ago and bought myself a babe electric wheel in 2006 year. what a hoot! this little ugly thing is as speedy as a ferrari. still need to find some more bobbins, perhaps a ‘bulky bobbin’ for plying.

Made myself a skein winder, made a skein blocking drying rack and found a ball winder at goodwill.

spun and plied my first pound of superwash that came with the learntospin kit. only took one winter on my drop spindle.

working my way through 2 fleeces from a Navajo-Churro farm nearby. lovely stuff. all of it is now washed and picked, 1/2 is carded, 1/4 is pulled into roving, and I finished the first pound of thicknthin in about 8 hours of wheel time.

made wicked wool combs and rewashed some of the N-C. after pulling it through the combs, the down is so fluffy soft and wonderful to spin. the longer hair coat will make good reinforcing threads.

discovered the art of reclaiming yarn from unloved sweaters! Shop at the goodwill-buy-the-pound store. Get sweaters for .69-.99 per pound. wash, hang dry, snip, frog, wind, skein, rinse, dry with weight, spin, ply, skein, rinse, dry without weight, ball and TA-DA instant yarn. ;)

No comments: